Added by Freedom of Information Team on 30 June 2017 at 9:48
For the five financial year periods from April 2012-March 2013, April 2013-March 2014, April 2014-March 2015, April 2015-March 2016 and April 2016-March 2017 – can you please tell me:
1. How many police dogs you had in service to your force at the beginning of each financial year (1 April)?
2. How many dogs were killed in the line of duty during each financial year (either died at scene, or had to be put down subsequently as a result of their injuries)?
3. By the 31 March of each financial year, how many dogs had retired due to age?
4. By the 31 March of each financial year, how many dogs had retired early due to injuries sustained in service?
5. By the 31 March of each financial year, how many dogs had retired early due to other reasons?
We have identified some information relevant to your request, however we are aware the information is not accurate as some of the details cannot be accessed at the time of your request.
Tri Force is a collaboration between Avon and Somerset, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire Police to provide Specialist Operational Services. This encompasses the specialisms of Firearms, Roads Policing, Collision Investigation and Dogs.
Information is not held prior to Triforce which started in 2014
Police dogs in service at the beginning of each year financial year:
2014 – 2015 – 40
2015 – 2016 – 40
2016 -2017 – 40
There were no injuries received by dogs in the line of duty. Dogs may have sustained minor soft muscle injuries (sprain etc) but this is not recorded as its low level.
No dogs were killed in the line of duty.
No Dogs have retired due to injuries sustained in service.
Information concerning retirement due to age, and retirement early due to any other reason has not been retrieved at this time.
FOI reference: 667/17.
Date of request: 22.05.17.