Added by Freedom of Information Team on 03 May 2016 at 11:08
1. Does Avon and Somerset Constabulary currently have a distinct flag in its Crime Management System for antisemitic crime, as opposed to other types of hate crime?
2. If Avon and Somerset Constabulary does flag antisemitic crimes separately, does it flag antisemitic incidents as well as crimes?
3. If Avon and Somerset Constabulary does flag antisemitic crimes separately, what guidance or definition if antisemitism is provided to officers in order for them to determine whether to apply the flag?
4. If Avon and Somerset Constabulary does flag antisemitic crimes separately, does the flag apply equally to antisemitic crime that is racially motivated as well as religiously motivated (it is settled law that for legal purposes Jews belong to a race as well as a religion)?
5. If Avon and Somerset Constabulary does NOT flag antisemitic crimes separately, what means are used to track antisemitic crime, if any?
We do not currently have a marker to centrally record anti-Semitic crimes or incidents. There is also no specific field to record the specified religion targeted. However, hate crimes are recorded with a motivation type such as race or religion. The more specific information is recorded either within the Modus Operandi (MO) or the log of enquiries for each crime. Each incident requires inspection in order to determine the specific motivation. This method is used to comply with our statutory obligation to notify the Home Office on a monthly basis.
FOI Reference: 506/16