Complaints of Sexual Misconduct Against Police Officers Since 2013
Date of request: September 12, 2018
Posted in: Policing Professional Standards
- The number of complaints of sexual misconduct against police officers serving at your force per year for the last five years.
- This includes where recorded:
- the gender and rank of the subject of the complaint
- where relevant to the complaint, the gender and rank of the complainant or position as police support staff
- the date it was recorded
- a summary of the allegation
- the location of the incident,
- if it occurred on or off duty
- the date and outcome of any investigation.
- The total number of active police officers serving at your police force per year for the last three years.
A total of 17 complaints against police officers have been recorded. Please note that one complaint can be made with more than one allegation against more than one police officer.
Please find the requested information below. Please note that the information provided relates to allegations against police officers whether they have been substantiated or not. There is no specific category to record whether the officer was on or off duty.
In some cases the rank of the officer is not recorded as the identity of the officer as the complainant cannot provide information that is sufficient to identify the officer.
I am not obliged to provide you with the dates, summaries and locations of the alleged incidents as to provide this information together would identify personal information.
The exemption applicable to this is Section 40(2), third party personal information. This is an Absolute exemption so therefore there is no requirement to conduct a harm or public interest test. Any information is exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act if it relates to or is supplied by another individual and disclosure of that information would contravene any of the principles of the 1998 Data Protection Act, in this particular case, disclosure of this information would contravene the principles set out in:
(a) Article 5(1) of the GDPR, and
(b) section 34(1) of the Data Protection Act 2018;
|Police Officer (no rank identified)||3|
|Other sexual conduct||6|
|Allegation Result Description||Total|
Some complaints are ongoing.
Please see the police officer headcount for the last three years in the table below. The figures are as at the 31/03 for 2016/17 and 2017/18 and as at 31/08/2018 for 2018/19.