Application for the grant or renewal of a firearm or shotgun certificate
To apply for, or renew a firearms/shotgun licence, use this form.
Applications to renew a licence must be submitted at least eight weeks before your current certificate expires. Failure to do so may result in delays.
Renewal applications or doctor proformas submitted earlier than three months before expiry will be rejected and returned.Start now
Before starting this form
Make sure you have everything you need to hand. The form needs to be completed in one go and you will not be able to save your answers.
You will need:
- details of any firearms or shotguns currently in your possession - including serial numbers
- details of your referees - including full name, date and place of birth - two referees are required for a firearm certificate, one referee is required if you are applying for a shotgun certificate
- the address of your GP Practice
- a digital photograph of passport quality showing your current true likeness, saved on your device ready to upload (jpeg, png or gif)
- credit or debit card details to make a payment
- for firearms applications only - details of your good reason to possess firearms as per guidance notes 21 and 22
Other ways to apply for a grant or renewal
- Download the Application for Firearm/Shotgun Certificate (PDF). Complete, print and sign the form and return to the Firearms Licensing Team.