Forgotten password?

Create new account

Access to Your Personal Information

The Data Protection Act provides the right for an individual to request a copy of personal information held. This is known as 'subject access'.

Please note: Avon and Somerset no longer process applications for criminal records, please see the below paragraph in relation to the Criminal Records Office (ACRO) and Police National Computer (PNC).

Apply for access to information held on the Police National Computer (PNC)

You can make an application to request information that may be held about you on the PNC.

To make this application you need to complete the ACRO SAR1 form, which can be downloaded via the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) website - ACRO Criminal Records Office.

You can use this form if you need a check to be made against conviction history records. This will include:

  • Arrests
  • Criminal convictions
  • Cautions
  • Juvenile reprimands
  • Final warnings
  • Non convictions
  • No further actions outcomes

You will receive a letter if no information is held.

Apply for access to information held on Avon and Somerset Constabulary systems

To find out whether the Constabulary holds any personal information about you (this does not include certificates of criminal records) and to get a copy of that information you can apply by:

The types of information you can request by completing this form includes:

  • Police incident logs
  • Police crime reports
  • Photographs
  • Statements

Please note: If you complete both forms you only need to pay one £10 fee. The fee should be forwarded with your ACRO SAR1 application following the instructions on the form. When completing form 462 please indicate that you have sent your fee to ACRO by ticking the appropriate box.

Requests for Information for Employment Purposes

ACRO does not provide PNC disclosures for employment vetting purposes.

If you require a disclosure for employment purposes, Disclosure Scotland offers a ‘basic’ level check. This check will not show convictions classed as ‘spent’ under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. For more information concerning spent convictions and acquiring a ‘basic level check’ please visit the Disclosure Scotland website .

Checks carried out via subject access will list all of a person’s offences regardless of whether or not they are spent. 

Application or renewal of a Personal Licence

If you require a disclosure for a Personal Licence application please be aware that a Subject Access disclosure is not covered by the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. This means the disclosure may contain information about convictions which, in other circumstances would be classed as ‘spent’ and which a third party is not entitled to receive.

You may apply for a ‘basic’ level check, which does not include spent convictions by visiting the Disclosure Scotland website .

Employment involving access to children, vulnerable adults or the elderly

Information requests for the purpose of employment or self-employment with children, the elderly or the vulnerable should be directed to the Disclosure and Barring Service .

If you require a criminal record check to work with children overseas, you should obtain an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC) .

Time scales

The Data Protection Act requires that you are given a response to any request for your personal information within 40 calendar days.

We will always try to respond to requests in the early part of this period, however, more complicated or larger requests may take the full 40 days to reach you.

Deletion of records from national police systems

All applications for the removal of records from national police systems, such as the police national computer, are now managed centrally on behalf of the police service by ACRO Criminal Records Office.

If you believe you are eligible to have your records held on national police systems deleted, please visit the ACRO website for guidance and to download the application form.

You will need to print the application form and submit it by post together with the requested identity documentation directly to ACRO. There are no fees for this service (other than postage to ACRO).

Disregarding certain convictions

The law now states that historical convictions for consensual gay sex with over­ 16s will not show up on criminal records checks.

The Home Secretary may disregard certain convictions upon written application by the individual.

In order for an eligible conviction to be disregarded it must appear that:

  • All parties involved in the conduct constituting the offence consented to it and were aged 16 or over at the time the offence was committed
  • Any such conduct now would not be an offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003

You can get further information and download an application form from the Home Office

Completed application forms should be submitted by email to

Or in writing to:

Home Office Casework Team
Chapter 4 Applications
5th Floor Fry Building
2 Marsham Street

Useful contacts

Corporate Information Management Department
Avon and Somerset Constabulary
PO Box 37
Valley Road
BS20 8QJ

01275 816 376

ACRO Subject Access
PO Box 623
PO14 9HR

ACRO National Record Deletion Unit
PO Box 481
PO14 9FS

02380 479 920 (International: 0044 2380 479 920)
ACRO website

Disclosure Scotland
PO Box 250
G51 1YU

0870 609 6006
Disclosure Scotland website

Related documents

  • PDF icon DPA Form 462
    Last updated: 23 December 2016