There has been a dramatic increase in the theft of catalytic converters as they contain metals with a high scrap value. This is a force wide issue at the moment, so please be vigilant in your area.
Please report any suspicious activity on either 101 (non emergency) or 999 (emergency), if you do suffer a theft please call us.
Tuesday 20th April, 2021
Catalytic converter thefts are still a beat wide issue across Avon and Somerset but here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of your vehicle being targeted:
- Avoid parking half on the pavement, half on the road, as this may provide thieves with easier access to the underside of your vehicle.
- Park your vehicle in a locked garage whenever possible.
- Try to park in busy, well-lit areas, or areas covered by CCTV.
- Install an under-car alarm system.
- Ask your garage to tell you your catalytic converter’s serial number, and make a note of it.
- Consider purchasing forensic liquid and using it to mark your catalytic converter.
- Place a protective covering over your catalytic converter.
- If you have a fleet of vehicles, try to restrict access to high ground clearance vehicles by blocking them with lower vehicles.
More information can be found here https://crimestoppers-uk.org/keeping-safe/home-property-safety/catalytic-converter-theft