Advice on Home Security
Remember: Most burglaries are opportunistic
- Always close and lock doors and windows when you go out – even if just for a short time – and when you go to bed at night. Don’t forget doors into garages or conservatories
- Make sure your locks and security measures comply with your insurance requirements. More information can be found at com and locksmiths.co.uk
- Keep keys, including shed and car keys, in a place where they’re not visible to anyone looking in. Don’t leave keys in the door and never hide a spare key outside.
- Keep valuables hidden and not visible from windows
- Take photos of your valuable items for insurance purposes and keep them with your policy
- Window locks and visible burglar alarms can act as a deterrent to criminals
- Never leave packaging from new goods visible with your general rubbish. Criminals may see it and target your property
- Draw curtains in the evening and leave your lights on a timer switch if you’re going out. Make sure one light is on upstairs
- Consider keeping expensive jewelry, house deeds and other important items in a home safe anchored to the brickwork
Register valuable items free of charge with immobilise.com, a property register that helps police identify your property and catch criminals.