With the warmer weather fast approaching, we would like to take this time to remind residents that door to door trader is likely to commence soon. With this this in mind we would like to offer advice to residents to ensure they do not fall victim to rogue traders:
- Be cautious; if a trader knocks at your door, do not agree to on the spot house repairs without taking advice. Say ‘no thank you’ and close the door.
- Be wary of special offers. They will use tactics such as ‘I am only in your area today and would need to do the work now’.
- Do not believe when told that guttering, roofing, gardening or paving work is in need of urgent repair – this may cause you to panic and allow the work to take place.
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into agreeing to have work carried out. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, they are committing a criminal offence – contact the police on 999.
- Do not make snap decisions. If you feel that any work needs carrying out on your property, take time to talk to family or neighbours before you make a decision.
- Don’t ever go to a bank or cash point with a trader; legitimate traders would never do this