With an ageing population here in West Somerset, we have many vulnerable people who are susceptible to cold calling/fraud/scams.
- COMMUNITY ALERTS have recently been sent out regarding a team of males cold calling & offering ‘Gardening Services’ These males have a pushy attitude, often walking directly into sheds & gardens to offer to cut down trees etc. They will quote extortionate prices, & if the quote is accepted, they will carry out the work, then say they have underpriced themselves & will demand more money. These males will target gardens that are overgrown & untidy- perhaps belonging to older more vulnerable people, who perhaps may fall victim to these unscrupulous people. Please keep an eye out for the more vulnerable members of the community.
- If you need work done, e.g. gardening/painting/house repairs, always use someone who is personally recommended to you by a neighbour, family member or friend.
- Try not to get work done by anyone who just knocks on your door offering services. You do not know the quality of their work or their honesty/ integrity.
- Most villages have a local Community magazine that will have a directory of reputable people who can be recommended to carry out all sorts of work.
- If you are offered anything that sounds too good to be true, then it generally is.
- Do not give out any personal details or bank details, either over the phone or by any other means.