Equality and diversity
We want our organisation to be more like the communities we serve. We aim to demonstrate our objectives and priorities for diversity and equality within the Force.
The diversity of our workforce has a direct impact on the quality of service we provide to the public. Each one of our officers and staff members brings valuable skills, experience and knowledge to the organisation. These are enriched and enhanced by the differences in:
- Sexual orientation
Our inclusive workforce helps to improve the service we provide:
- Employing people from different backgrounds gives us a better understanding of the lifestyles, beliefs and cultures of people living in our communities
- Employing people who can speak different languages means we can communicate more effectively with people living in our communities
- Employing people from different communities increases the level of trust and understanding between the police service and those communities
We are proud to be…
A Stonewall Diversity Champion
Ensuring our work environment is inclusive and ensuring all LGBT+ colleagues and staff are accepted without exception in the workplace.
A member of the National Equality Standard (NES)
Working towards a more inclusive & diverse workforce set against standards and competencies for best practice in Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace.
A Disability confident employer
Challenging and changing attitudes towards disability, providing support and removing barriers in our workplaces.
Plans and reports
Equality Objectives and Annual Report
As a public body, we are required to publish Equality Information which demonstrates our compliance with the General Equality Duty. This report contains information about:
- The protected characteristics of our workforce
- The protected characteristics of our communities
- An overview of our equality-related activities
- Information about how protected groups are affected by our policies and practices
Inclusion and Diversity Strategy and Equality Action Plan
This strategy sets out our legal obligations, what we want to achieve, and how we will monitor our performance. The objectives reflect our work with diverse communities inside and outside the Constabulary, and demonstrate our commitment to ensuring that equality and diversity is at the heart of our work:
Equality Analysis Toolkit
We are committed to ensuring that equality and diversity are at the heart of all we do. In keeping with our mission to deliver a policing service which meets diverse needs, it is important that we develop policies and practices that are inclusive and that we make decisions fully aware of their consequences.
This equality analysis toolkit is provided to support you in meeting the requirements of the Public Sector Equality Duty: