Skip to content

Coronavirus (COVID-19): the policing response and what you need to know

Thirteen jailed for football violence

Thirteen men have been jailed for their part in a violent disorder which happened on a Bristol street after an England World Cup group stage win. Three others were given suspended sentences.

At about 3.15pm on Sunday 24 June, after England beat Panama 6-1 violence broke out in Park Street. Tables and other furniture were thrown in the disorder and several of the men involved suffered injuries. One had a broken leg while another was knocked unconscious.

Footage of the disorder

The incident was witnessed by families with children and other innocent bystanders.

Witnesses told police:

“[I] found it distressing to watch that level of violence in real life, watching people get hurt and bleeding in the street”.

“What I was seeing really disturbed me. I felt terrified … this was a vicious attack and there was a lot of hate in the atmosphere.”

Over the past week, the defendants have all appeared before District Judge Lambert at Bristol Crown Court for sentencing for affray.

Judge Lambert described the incident as “major disorder” which “engendered terror and distress”. He told the defendants only custodial sentences were suitable “however small a part people played”.

Avon and Somerset Police’s Head of Operations Superintendent Rhys Hughes said: “This incident of violent disorder was quickly brought under control on the arrival of police officers. However those few minutes were enough to put many of those enjoying a Sunday afternoon in the city in fear of being injured.

“The effects of these men’s actions include damage to property, a cost to the public purse in bringing these prosecutions and financial losses to nearby businesses as their customers fled. This type of violence has absolutely no place in our society. I welcome these custodial sentences and hope they send a clear message to anyone involved in football-related violence that it simply will not be tolerated in Bristol.”

The defendants:

  • Leon Gregor, 25, of Patchway – jailed for 12 months and issued with a six-year Football Banning Order (FBO)
  • Callum Powell, 28, of Fishponds – handed a four-month prison term suspended for two years, to carry out 260 hours unpaid work and issued a three-year FBO
  • Nicholas Hunt, 28, of Bishopsworth – jailed for five months
  • Declan McFarlane, 27, of Emersons Green – sentenced to three months in prison suspended for two years with a 240-hour unpaid work requirement and issued with a three-year FBO
  • Daniel Poole, 28, of Kingswood – handed a two-month prison term suspended for two years with a 150-hour unpaid work requirement and issued a three-year FBO
  • Nathan Jelf, 42, of Bishopsworth – jailed for seven months and issued with a six-year Football Banning Order
  • Ricki Paddon, 30, of Chepstow – jailed for six months and issued with a six-year FBO *
  • Will Duggan, 21, of Mangotsfield – jailed for three months *
  • Kevin Bennett, 31, of Hanham – jailed for four months *
  • Lee James, 33, of Soundwell – jailed for four months *
  • Jordan Cornick, 29, of Knowle – jailed for four months
  • Darren Knowles, 42, of Fishponds – jailed for three months and issued a six-year FBO
  • Thomas Cook-Davies, 43, of Horfield – jailed for eight months
  • Joshua Davies, 31, of Knowle – jailed for seven months
  • Ryan Phillips, 28, of Knowle – jailed for seven months
  • Martin Hayward, 34, of Knowle – jailed for six months

Those marked * were voluntarily interviewed or summonsed and we do not have custody images for them