A burglar has been jailed for breaking into a family’s home in Bath.
We were called to the house off Upper Bristol Road just after 11.40pm on 20 October after the householder heard a disturbance downstairs.
Officers attended and arrested Paul Matthews, 45, of Ashley Terrace, Bath, inside the address within five minutes of the report.
Matthews had forced a window and attempted to steal a television and a wallet.
He admitted burglary at Bristol Crown Court and was jailed for two years and eight months on Wednesday 27 December.
Avon and Somerset Police take burglary very seriously and are committed to identifying those responsible and bringing them to justice.
While we’re working hard to target offenders and reduce offences, we all have a part to play in keeping our homes safe by securing our property.
You can help by:
- installing a burglar alarm and sensor-activated security light
- keeping valuables (including keys) securely out of sight
- removing keys from door locks
- storing high value items such as jewellery, passports and bank cards in a properly secured and hidden safe or with a specialist secure storage provider.
- joining your local Neighbourhood Watch
- reporting any suspicious incidents as they happen
More home security advice, including information on joining Neighbourhood Watch