Stay safe this Halloween
Halloween and Bonfire Night can be a lot of fun as long as everyone is respectful and plays by the rules.
We’ve created a Halloween Code for trick or treaters to keep safe. We also have posters for households to let young people know if they’re not happy to receive callers and a poster for shop owners that which can be used to restrict the sale of items that can be used to cause mischief at this time of year (fireworks, eggs and flour). To download these, click on the images at the end of this page.
Here's our guide for a safe and happy Halloween and Bonfire Night:
Trick or treaters
- Stay in a group.
- Make sure a responsible adult or guardian goes with you.
- Plan your route before you leave the house and make sure someone knows where you are going.
- Carry a torch and wear reflective clothing.
- Never enter a stranger's home.
- Respect others' property and don’t call on homes that have the 'sorry no trick or treat' poster.
- Supervise younger children.
- Remind teenagers to respect others' property.
- Encourage children to call only on their friends.
- Make sure you know where they're going, who with and when they'll be back.
- Don't sell eggs and flour to young people and remember selling fireworks to under-18s is an offence.
Remember, only call 999 if it's an emergency or a crime is in progress. For all non-emergencies, please contact us online or call us on 101.
Click the posters below to download and print them at home