Leave site

Report being locked out of a vehicle

Being locked out of your vehicle can be upsetting and distressing.

In certain cases, the police will attend. However you may be advised to contact one of the following first:

  • a breakdown service 
  • a locksmith
  • a car garage

When will the police attend?

The police will only attend if:

  • there is a child locked in the car
  • there is an animal locked in the car
  • you are in a vulnerable situation (for example, you feel unsafe or are in an isolated location)

How do I report it?

If you are locked out of your vehicle and require police attendance, you can contact us:

Gaining entry to a vehicle

In some circumstances, it may be difficult for an officer to gain entry to your vehicle without causing damage to it. Any assistance offered is on the understanding that the individual officers or Avon and Somerset Police will not be held liable for any damage.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?