Leave site
Skip to content

Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme – Sarah’s Law

The Child Sex Offender’s Disclosure Scheme, also known as Sarah’s Law, allows you to ask us if someone with access to a child has a record for child sex offences.

Disclosures provide you with information we hold on an individual posing significant risk to children, including convictions for child sex offences or safeguarding concerns.

Information will only be provided if it is in the interest of the child’s welfare and is not believed to increase the risk of harm. 

Immediate danger

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, call 999.

Applying for disclosure information

  1. Step 1 : Who can apply

    Anyone who is worried about someone’s behaviour towards a child can apply online for information.

    However, disclosures will only be given to the person best placed to protect the child, usually a parent, carer or guardian.

  2. Step 2 : Before you apply

    Sarah’s Law is for you to ask the police for information about someone. It is not for you to report something to the police.

    We might share information you give in this application form with other organisations, such as schools, social care services, probation and health services.

    We may take action against you if we discover you have:

    • lied on this form to try to get information about someone
    • shared confidential information we have given you with others
  3. Step 3 : How to apply

    You can apply for disclosure information:

  4. Step 4 : After you apply

    We will make some checks within 24 hours, and if we think a child is in danger we will take immediate action.

    If we do not think there is an immediate danger, we will get in touch to either:

    • discuss the application in more detail, initially over the telephone. An additional face-to-face interview may then be required.
    • tell you we are not going to progress your application, explain why, and tell you what we might do instead

    For more information about what happens after you apply for disclosure, see Sarah’s Law application process.

I want to know more

For more advice and information on protecting children from abuse:

Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare’s Law)

If you are asking us about a partner and worry you may be at risk of domestic violence, you can ask for information under the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare’s Law).

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?