Leave site

How to make a complaint

If you feel dissatisfied with the conduct or behaviour of a police officer, member of police staff, volunteer or special constable, then you can make a complaint. You can also complain about police policies, strategies or general standards.

In order to make a complaint, you must be eligible to be a ‘complainant’. This is defined by the legislation as someone who has directly witnessed the incident or who is directly affected by it.

Complaints can be raised by other people on their behalf, but only with their written consent.

If you are not directly affected or were not present at the incident that you have concerns about, you cannot use the complaints system to make your concerns known. View further eligibility guidance from the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

Ways to make a complaint

You can register your complaint by using any of the methods below. Submit your complaint using only one of the methods to avoid duplication.


To make a complaint online, fill in the make a complaint form.

In person

To make a complaint in person, visit a police station.


Email your complaint to our Professional Standards Department.

Include your:

  • address
  • date of birth
  • telephone number

Without these details, it will not be possible to progress enquiries into the issues raised.


Write a letter and post it to:

Professional Standards Department
Avon and Somerset Constabulary
PO Box 37
Valley Road
Portishead, BS20 8QJ


To make a complaint by phone, call 101.

Through other agencies

Alongside direct contact with Avon and Somerset Constabulary, you can use the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) online complaint form, which will be forwarded automatically to Avon and Somerset Constabulary’s Professional Standards Department.

You can also make a complaint by contacting:

To access complaints information in alternative formats, visit the IOPC website.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?