101 Switchboard Operator
Working in a busy and dynamic environment, 101 Switchboard Operators work alongside emergency Call Handlers and Dispatchers to support those in need.
101 Switchboard Operators are often the first contact a member of the public has with the police.
What does a 101 Switchboard Operator do?
A 101 Switchboard Operator:
- answers non-emergency calls from members of the public
- answers one call at a time using multiple systems
- determines an appropriate course of action for each call. This could be transferring the call to a Call Handler, internal department or officer and may include signposting the member of the public to an external agency where appropriate
- provides excellent customer service as a first point of contact for the public
What skills do I need?
101 Switchboard Operators need to:
- be active listeners, noting key details of the call
- remain calm and make decisions clearly under pressure
- reassure callers and provide the best guidance for their situation
Find out what happens once you have applied to work in our Communications Centre.
Why work for us?
We offer a rewarding career with an opportunity to make a real difference to your community. You will also benefit from flexible working, access to fitness facilities, free parking and career development opportunities.
Find out why you should work for us.
Ready to join us?
We are not currently recruiting for 101 Switchboard Operators.
Stay up to date with our latest vacancies by registering for our job alert email service.