Re-join as a police officer
Are you looking to return to a career in policing? If you have previously worked for us or another police force you may be eligible to re-join as a police officer.
You can apply to re-join at any time, there is no need to wait until there is an active recruitment campaign. You will apply to return to either Patrol or Investigations.
There is no time limit as to when you can return and you may apply to return at a different rank to the one which you left at.
To re-join as a police officer, you must:
- have worked for Avon and Somerset Police or another police force as a police officer
- have previously completed your two year probationary period
- live within the boundaries of the Avon and Somerset policing area by the time you begin the process of returning to service with us
- You must complete your application using our online jobs portal.
- If you did not serve with Avon and Somerset Police previously, you will be required to upload the following as part of the application process:
- Copies of your last Personal Development Records (PDRs)
- A print out of your sickness record covering at least the last 2 years of service from your Force HR records (your full sickness record will be assessed as part of the selection process)
- Prints outs of your complaints and misconduct record
- Print outs of any awards and commendations from your personnel record
- Once we have received your application, we will consider current and anticipated vacancies, and contact you to advise on recruitment timelines.
- An interview will be arranged with a representative from either Patrol or Investigations along with a representative from HR. Your reason for leaving and returning will be discussed in this interview.
- Throughout the process we will assess your suitability to join through the re-joiner route and where training needs analysis highlights further development prior to re-joining, you will be invited to apply to attend one of our initial learning programmes.
- A fitness test, medical review and biometrics testing will be conducted along with Professional Standards checks and security vetting. We will also request references including a HR reference from your previous Force.
- On successful completion of the recruitment checks we will look to place you on the next available re-joiner course. Be advised that the process from applying to start date can take approximately six months.
Current re-joiner vacancies
To make a recruitment related query, contact our Talent Acquisition team.