Special Constable recruitment process
We are always looking to welcome new Special Constables.
You will need to successfully complete the following steps before starting a thorough training programme to become a Special Constable.
Stage 1 – Eligibility
During the eligibility process, we must check you meet all of the criteria detailed below before you can continue with your application.
To be a Special Constable, you must:
- be 18 years and over
- be a British citizen, citizen of the Irish Republic, European Economic Area (EEA), Commonwealth or other foreign national whose stay in the UK is unrestricted
- be a resident in the UK for at least three years
- be able to perform a minimum monthly average of 16 hours’ duty, agreed around your availability
- be successful in the vetting process
- be in good health mentally and physically to undertake police duties
- provide your medical history and be given a satisfactory medical clearance by the force medical officer
- undertake a fitness test which consists of Endurance Fitness (multi-stage shuttle run) 4 shuttles at level 5 (5/4)
- have a corrected distance visual acuity of 6/12, in either eye and 6/6 or better with both eyes together
- have a corrected low contrast distance visual acuity of 6/12 or better for a 10% contrast target with both eyes together
- have a corrected near static visual acuity of 6/9 or better with both eyes together
You must not:
- have a County Court Judgement (CCJ) which has not been satisfied
- be currently declared bankrupt and for a period of three years afterwards
- be subject to a Debt Relief Order and for a period of three years afterwards
- be a member of certain national groups, for example, British National Party, Combat 18 or National Front
- have any tattoos which would cause offence
- have applied to another police force with the past 6 months
- have been placed on the Police Barred and Advisory Lists within 5 years from the date of listing in the case of gross misconduct or 3 years from the date of listing in the case of poor performance
- have any criminal convictions or cautions (minor offences will be considered)
- be in a job that is considered incompatible with the role of a special constable, including armed forces, fire service and the security industry
- have an active role in politics
Stage 2 – Familiarisation Event
If you are successful at the eligibility stage, you will be invited to a local familiarisation event where you will be provided with further information about the role and have the opportunity for a Question and Answer session with Special Constables.
We will email you an application form for you to complete and return to the recruitment team.
Stage 3 – Assessment Centre
Following shortlisting, you will be invited to an assessment centre.
This assessment will consist of a written exercise, competency based interview and situational judgement test.
Stage 4 – Pre-appointment checks
Stage 4 – Offer of appointment
Once all of the pre-appointment checks have been satisfactorily completed, you will receive a final offer of employment and allocated a space on the next available training course.
In addition to the normal selection process, you will be assessed on your ability to commit to and perform the role of Special Constable within the Avon and Somerset police area.
Ready to join us?
To make a recruitment related query, contact our Talent Acquisition team.