Why work for us?
If you are looking for a fresh challenge, a unique opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives, and the chance to broaden your experience in an organisation that genuinely cares about its employees, Avon and Somerset Police is for you.
Avon and Somerset Police is a progressive and caring organisation of over 6,000 people. As the seventh largest police force in England and Wales, we serve a population of more than 1.65 million, across a large and diverse area.
And, while we have over 3,000 police officers, PCSOs and special constables, we also employ thousands of people in a variety of staff roles.
What we offer
We offer unique careers where you will be valued, inspired and feel rewarded. From accountants to police officers and from investigators to web developers, we have a wide range of roles where you can make a difference.
The police are here to help people when they need us most and everyone who works at Avon and Somerset Police plays a vital role in our vision to deliver outstanding policing for everyone. We believe in empowering our people to make decisions and see individuality as a strength.
We are a courageous organisation which is committed to learning. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and we are always searching for new ways to help our people perform at their best, whether that is through the latest tech, pioneering different approaches or training and personal development.
We offer our employees:
- Flexible working, full time, part time and job share opportunities
- Annual leave of 23 paid days, increasing to 28 days after five years’ service, plus public holidays
- Training and development, including mentoring and leadership programmes
- Career opportunities available in various locations across the force area
- The chance for career progression across different departments and areas of the organisation
- Local Government Pension Scheme (PDF)
- Enhanced maternity benefits
- Lifestyle benefits, including gyms and sporting groups, and a cycle to work scheme
- Career break opportunities
- Free parking at Headquarters and some of our local sites
- Wellbeing and health support and advice, for professional and personal matters including an employee assistance programme, physiotherapy and an in-house occupational health service
- Access to supportive and active staff groups, networks and associations including:
- Black Police Association
- Christian Police Association
- Disabled Police Association
- LGBT+ Staff Network
- National Police Autism Association
- Police Federation
- Police Pagan Association
- Women’s Network
- Access to the Police Staff Insurance Scheme for accident and illness cover
- Access to the Police Staff Welfare Fund
- Access to the Force Club for discounts on various activities
We are looking for people who share our values of caring, inclusive, courageous and learning.
To enable us to deliver outstanding policing for everyone, we need people from all backgrounds with a range of professional and life experiences so that we are truly representative of our communities.
Find out about our inclusive culture.
What makes Avon and Somerset unique?
We police 1,855 square miles and service a diverse population of 1.65 million people and approximately 679,000 households.
Avon and Somerset is home to stunning areas of natural beauty, historic sites and eclectic urban communities. From coastal towns and villages, to the hills of Exmoor, World Heritage cities and the multi-cultural vibrancy of Bristol, our force area provides a great place to live and work.
Our policing areas include:
- Bath and North East Somerset
- North Somerset
- Somerset West and Taunton
- South Gloucestershire
- South Somerset