History and Heritage Volunteer
Written by Human Resources department on 29 June 2016 at 10:50
Do you have an interest in history ?
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to assist the Force Archivist and Historian in developing, promoting and recording the history of policing in the Avon and Somerset area.
This is a project that was started only last year, but has been embraced by all parts of the community, both internally and external, our new Flickr page has had over 150,000 views already.
- Retrieve photographs, documents and artefacts from different locations, catalogue, label and store
- Identify special sets of photos, documents and artefacts and build the story of individuals where evident
- Create displays of artefacts around force area
- Liaise with cadets and associated history and heritage projects
- Deliver presentations to various groups
- Support & promote the heritage collection and its activities
- Promote the History and Heritage group using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Flickr.
- We are looking for someone who is available during the day, during the week. There will be occasional weekend and evening events. The role will ideally be based in Portishead.
- Being at the forefront of an exciting new project
- Privilege of accessing and learning about Police history and heritage
- Being able to use creative presentation skills
- Inspiring the younger generation regarding history and heritage
- Sharing impressive knowledge with Police staff, officers and the public
- Experience of using technology (AV & Microsoft Office, Excel). Experience of MS Access would be an advantage but training can be provided
- Good organisational skills
- Good research skills
Application deadline: No closing date
Location: Based at Police & Fire Headquarters, but covering the A&S force area