999 Call Handler
Working quickly and calmly, 999 Call Handlers note down essential details about the caller’s condition and location, logging the information onto a computer system and make decisions as to what police support may be required.
This information is then passed over to our Dispatch Team who coordinate the policing response.
What does a 999 Call Handler do?
A 999 Call Handler:
- answers emergency and non-emergency calls from members of public
- resolves one call at a time using multiple systems
- provides detailed descriptions of the incident and makes initial assessments, based on risk and vulnerability, to enable Dispatchers to provide an appropriate response
- works with Police Officers and Police staff from all departments, signposting calls to relevant people and providing callers and officers with updates where appropriate
- gathers and records relevant information from potentially distressed callers on the telephone
- responds to enquiries at first point of contact, via telephone, email and internet enquiries
- updates existing crime reports and investigate new reports of crime, making decisions on further action to be taken
What skills do I need?
A 999 Call Handler may be the first contact a member of the public has with the police. This means you need to be able to:
- stay calm under pressure
- listen carefully to a caller whilst making detailed notes about the situation
- deal with people who may be angry, upset or scared
- use your initiative while following police procedures
- work well in a team and communicate clearly to others
Find out what happens once you have applied to work in our Communications Centre.
Why work for us?
We offer a rewarding career with an opportunity to make a real difference to your community. You will also benefit from flexible working, access to fitness facilities, free parking and career development opportunities.
Find out why you should work for us.
Ready to join us?
We are not currently recruiting for 999 Call Handlers.
Stay up to date with our latest vacancies by registering for our job alert email service.