Police promotions process
Avon and Somerset Police recognises the quality of our leadership is fundamental to us achieving our ambition and priorities set by the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC).
The police promotions process assesses competence at rank and potential at the next rank to identify and appoint future leaders.
On the closing date of receipt of applications, you must:
- be substantive in your current rank
- have no live written improvement notices issued under the Police (Performance) Regulations 2012 or reduction in rank under those procedures in the previous 18 months
- have no live written warning, final written warning or extended final written warning issued under the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2012; (note – a finding of misconduct but where no separate penalty is applied (Regulation 35(1)(b)), does not debar an officer from proceeding)
- have no improvement notice/action plan in place, in accordance with the Police Officer Performance and Attendance procedures
- for sergeant and inspector promotions, officers must have passed the relevant part 2 qualifications in either
National Police Promotion Framework (NPPF) or Objective Structured Performance Related Examination (OSPRE)
There are four main steps in the selection process:
- Short online application form
- Line Manager assessment, Directorate Lead’s assessment and the central validation panel. For external candidates, your current line manager and a Chief Inspector or above will complete an assessment
- Identifying successful candidates available for promoting into vacancies at the next rank
- Candidate guidance (PDF)
- Competency Values Framework (College of Policing)
- Police promotion process flow chart (DOC)
Sergeant promotion board now open
We are keen to promote police officers from diverse backgrounds to the rank of Sergeant to deliver our service to the public, to lead our people and to meet the challenges we face.
To make a Police Promotion related query, email our Workforce Planning Team.