Police promotions process
Avon and Somerset Police recognises that the quality of our leadership is fundamental to us achieving our ambition and the Police and Crime Commissioner’s (PCC) priorities.
The police promotions process assesses competence at rank and potential at the next rank to identify and appoint leaders who embody the values of our organisation.
On the closing date of receipt of applications you must:
- Be substantive in your current rank
- Have no live written improvement notices issued under the Police (Performance) Regulations 2012 or reduction in rank under those procedures in the previous 18 months
- Have no live written warning, final written warning or extended final written warning issued under the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2012 (note – a finding of misconduct but where no separate penalty is applied (Regulation 35(1)(b)), does not debar an officer from proceeding)
- Have no improvement notice or action plan in place, in accordance with the Police Officer Performance and Attendance procedures
There are four main steps in the selection process. They are:
- Short online application form
- Line Manager assessment and central validation panel. For external candidates, your current line manager and a Chief Superintendent or above will complete an assessment
- Assessment centre
- Identifying successful candidates available for promoting into vacancies at the next rank
Now closed for applications.
If you have questions about the promotions process, email our Workforce Planning Team.