We are looking for the highest quality officers to join our ranks.
What we offer
We offer a unique, stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to make a real difference to your community. We see individuality as a strength and empower our people to make the right decision for the public that we serve.
You will join us through a bespoke transferee learning course to ensure you are operational as early as possible.
You will be engaging directly with our communities and will be responsible for ensuring that they receive an outstanding policing service. Our officers are leaders and every day make a positive and lasting difference to the lives of the public that we serve.
We are a courageous organisation which is committed to learning. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and we are always searching for new ways to help our people perform at their best, whether that is through the latest tech, pioneering different approaches or training and personal development.
Throughout your career we will enable you to unleash your full potential by providing dedicated support and training which will support your professional development.
What we need
We are seeking individuals who embody our organisational mission, vision and values:
- Mission: Serve, protect and respect
- Vision: Outstanding policing for everyone
- Values: Caring, courageous, inclusive and learning
To be eligible to apply, you must have completed your probation period as a police officer and currently be working for a Home Office force.
We also accept applications from police officers currently working for the:
- British Transport Police
- Ministry of Defence (MOD) – where they hold the Level 3 in Policing at Diploma Level. You may be asked to evidence completion of the required occupational units. This is not the Level 3 Diploma in Ministry of Defence Policing or the level 3 in Policing Knowledge.
You must live within the boundaries of the Avon and Somerset force area – however, we would strongly advise you not to enter into any lease or purchase of property until we have confirmed a posting.
Our decisions on postings are made on the basis of the operational requirement and take into account qualifications and experience level.
Individual preferences will be noted and we will attempt to accommodate them, subject to organisational requirement.
Before you apply for a transfer to Avon and Somerset Police, you will need to make sure you fit the criteria in the job description.
We will begin to process your application as soon as we receive it.
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview at our headquarters.
We will let you know the outcome of the interview within two weeks. Subject to references and pre-appointment checks, successful applicants could take up their appointment within two months.
Fitness test and medical
You will need to attend a medical assessment and a physical fitness test on the day of your assessment.
The fitness test will consist of the following elements:
- Warm up to level 3 on endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) followed by two minutes of stretching
- Endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) up to level 5/4
Body Mass Index (BMI)
You will need to meet our BMI standards as follows:
- A BMI of 30.1% or more will mean you are referred for a body fat assessment). The outcome of the assessment will determine whether you are eligible to join
- A BMI of 35.1% or more will mean your application will not be processed further unless there are compelling or exceptional circumstances
After successful completion of the medical and physical tests, further checks will take place, including vetting and professional standard checks.
We will keep you informed at every stage of the process.
Why work for us
Find out why you should work for us.
Current transferee vacancies
We currently have the following transferee vacancies:
- Authorised Firearms Officer
- Detective Constable
- Operation Bluestone – PC to DC and Detective Constable
- Operation Bluestone – Detective Sergeant
- Police Constable
- Chief Inspector and Detective Chief Inspector
PCSO and special constable transferees
If you are currently serving as a PCSO with another police force and have completed your 12 month probationary period, you are eligible to apply for a transfer to Avon and Somerset Police.