We are looking for the highest quality officers to join our ranks.
What we offer
We offer a unique, stimulating and rewarding career with an opportunity to make a real difference to your community.
As a transferee, you will receive:
- a salary paid in accordance with the national rates, paid directly into a bank or building society account on the 28th of each month
- annual leave already booked this year – you must advise us of these dates in writing when you are invited to attend the interview
- any agreed carry over leave (up to five days) for the previous year, into the current period
- under most circumstances, a direct transfer of your pension rights from one force to another
What we need
As a transferee, you must:
- be committed to delivering our force values in every way:
- Mission: Serve, protect and respect
- Vision: Outstanding policing for everyone
- Values: Caring, courageous, inclusive and learning
- pass a fitness test
- you must have a Level 3 in Policing Diploma
We are now accepting applications from Police Officers currently working for the British Transport Police and the Ministry of Defence (MOD).
Before you apply for a transfer to Avon and Somerset Police, you will need to make sure you fit the criteria in the job description.
We will begin to process your application as soon as we get it.
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview at our headquarters.
We will let you know the outcome of the interview within two weeks. Subject to references and clearance checks, successful applicants could take up their appointment within two months.
You must live within the boundaries of the Avon and Somerset force area – however, we would strongly advise you not to enter into any lease or purchase of property until we have confirmed a posting.
Our decisions on postings are made on the basis of the requirement for personnel at particular locations.
Individual preferences will be noted and we will attempt to accommodate them, depending on the Force’s need at the time.
Fitness test and medical
You will need to attend a medical assessment and a physical fitness test on the day of your assessment.
The fitness test will consist of the following elements:
- Warm up to level 3 on endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) followed by two minutes of stretching
- Endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) up to level 5/4
You will need to meet our BMI standards as follows:
- A BMI of 30.1% or more will mean you are referred for a body fat assessment). The outcome of the assessment will determine whether you are eligible to join
- A BMI of 35.1% or more will mean your application will not be processed further unless there are compelling or exceptional circumstances
After successful completion of the medical and physical tests, further checks will take place, including vetting, background and professional standard checks.
We will keep you informed at every stage of the process.
Why work for us
Find out why you should work for us.
Current Transferee vacancies
We currently have the following transferee vacancies: