Authorised Firearms Officer transferee vacancy
We are looking for the highest quality Authorised Firearms Officers (AFOs) and Counter Terrorist Specialist Firearms Officers (CTSFOs) to join our Tactical Support Teams.
Avon and Somerset Police is one of the largest, most diverse forces in the country. If you are looking for a new challenge then we could be the place for you.
Are you eligible?
- be a fully qualified CTSFO/ARV AFO in line with the national standard
- have no live written improvement notices issued under the Police (Performance) Regulations 2012 or reduction in rank under those procedures in the previous 18 months
- have no live written warning, final written warning or extended final written warning issued under the Police (Conduct) Regulations 2012; (note – a finding of misconduct but where no separate penalty is applied (Regulation 35(1)(b)), does not debar an officer from proceeding)
- have no improvement notice/action plan in place, in accordance with the Police Officer Performance and Attendance procedures
Why work for us?
Avon and Somerset Police has gained a reputation as a pioneering and innovative force, responsible for policing a large diverse, multi-cultural population.
Find out why you should work for us.
The transfer process
We will begin to process your application immediately on receipt.
Applicants who are successfully shortlisted will be invited for an interview at Avon and Somerset Police Headquarters. We ask that you provide the following when you arrive for your interview:
- Medical / Occupational Health Report
- Sickness Record
Shortlisting takes place at the beginning of each month and interviews will be held within 4 weeks of the advert closing. Interview dates will be confirmed following shortlisting.
We recognise the personal impact of transferring between Constabularies and will therefore offer flexible start dates to cater for individual circumstances where possible.
Police officers are required to live in the Avon and Somerset Police area and within a 20 mile radius of their station of posting.
However, we would strongly recommend that you do not enter into any lease or purchase of property until a posting is confirmed.
Postings are decided on the basis of need for personnel at particular locations. Your preferences will be noted and attempts will be made to accommodate.
If you currently receive a housing or rent allowance in your existing force, our force equivalent allowance will be paid.
Fitness and medical checks
On the day of your interview, you will be required to attend a:
The fitness test will consist of the following elements:
- Warm up to level 3 on endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) followed by two minutes of stretching
- Endurance fitness shuttle run (bleep test) up to level 5/4
Body Mass Index (BMI)
You will need to meet our BMI standards as follows:
- A BMI of 30.1% or more will mean you are referred for a body fat assessment. The outcome of the assessment will determine whether you are eligible to join.
- A BMI of 35.1% or more will mean your application will not be processed further unless there are compelling or exceptional circumstances.
Ready to join us?
To make a recruitment related query, contact our Talent Acquisition team.