Leave site

Report noise complaints

Nuisance noise is any loud or persistent noise that causes you ongoing concern or affects your quality of life.

Contact your council first

You should contact your local council to report nuisance noise, such as loud music, noisy pubs, rowdy parties or barking dogs, as this is not usually a police matter.

When reporting noise issues to the police, try to provide any:

  • names
  • addresses or locations
  • ages or age ranges
  • details about why they are causing distress

Rave under way

A gathering in open space of 20 or more people at which loud music is played during the night is usually classed as a rave.

If an unlicensed rave is under way or about to begin, report it to us online by completing the report a crime form.

Future rave

To report an unlicensed rave which is due to take place in the future, fill in our inform us of suspected crime form.

Licensed music events

To hold a rave or music event legally, you must obtain a public entertainment licence from the relevant local authority. See public event planning for more information.

Ongoing noise issues

When the noise is from people being inconsiderate in a public space, you can report this to us as anti-social behaviour, particularly if the noise issue is ongoing and causing you distress.

Report ongoing anti-social behaviour

Immediate danger

Call 999 if you are being affected by anti-social behaviour and are in immediate danger.

Ongoing anti-social behaviour

If you have reported a persistent problem to the council, police or housing provider and feel not enough action has been taken, you can request an ASB Case Review.

Page feedback
Was this page useful? *
What best describes the reason for your visit today?