Our inclusive culture
Avon and Somerset Police are committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
Our mission is to serve our communities. The most effective way we can do this is if the people who work for us are representative of our communities.
We are working hard to increase diversity and inclusion where communities are currently under-represented. This includes:
- those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities
- people of all ages, abilities, neurodiversity, faiths, religions, gender, LGBT+ communities
- those from other disadvantaged backgrounds or marginalised backgrounds
We want to encourage people of diverse backgrounds, experience and beliefs, who share our value of caring and want to make a difference in the community, to work for us.
Find the role for you
We have over 6,000 people working for us and opportunities across a wide range of roles including Police Officers, Police Community Support Officers, Police support staff and Volunteers.
Perhaps you have thought about a career in the police but were unsure how to make this a reality?
Our dedicated Representative Workforce Team can:
- help explain what joining the police really means, what kind of roles are available and offer advice regarding the various stages of our recruitment processes
- tell you about upcoming workshops and engagement events designed to help you through the application process
- provide information about our support networks, which include the Avon and Somerset Black Police Association, the Disabled Police Association, our LGBT+ support group as well as the Police Federation and UNISON
We also have a network of Diversity Champions who can provide support to people from under-represented groups who are considering joining the police.
If you would like to find out more about the Representative Workforce team, email Representative.Workforce@avonandsomerset.police.uk or follow us on Twitter.
You can also read our Inclusion and Diversity Highlight Report (PDF).
Attend an upcoming engagement event
Register your interest in upcoming engagement events where you can find out more about starting a career in policing and the different opportunities available.
We are proud to be…
- A Stonewall Diversity Champion, ensuring our work environment is inclusive and ensuring all LGBT+ colleagues and staff are accepted without exception in the workplace.
- Part of the Disability Confident employer scheme, challenging and changing attitudes towards disability and removing barriers to disabled people in our workplaces.
- Fully certified by the National Equality Standard (NES) and to have achieved the NES compliant accreditation for best practice in Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in the workplace.